OpenERP now known as Odoo is released under GNU- General Public License and completely Open Source ERP software. Odoo is license free software contains all the features of traditional ERP. It comprises of wide range of business applications which includes Sales, Human Resources, CRM, Finance Management and much more. It consists of thousand + modules for various industries.
One of the most used open source solution in the World. It is available for free and most suited for the development purpose. It is widely used nowadays to manage different scale companies which include Production, Health, Service, Logistics etc. It is used because it has a dynamic community, i.e. pretty much flexible which can be updated according to our needs and fully customizable abilities are the major aspects of Odoo. It was formerly known by many names.
- Tiny ERP (First Release) – Feb 2005.
- OpenERP – April 2009.
- Odoo – Sep 2014.
Odoo is growing very fast we can’t even think today due to its availability and fully customization abilities.
Odoo’s Distinct Features
- Managing multi-currencies, multi-companies and multi-languages as per requirement.
- Online payment through a different mode of payment acquires.
- Integrated website builder with various themes and extra add-ons
- Integrating different modules like Sales, HR, Accounting, CRM etc.
- Facilities like Report generation, graphs, charts, invoice creation, email, group messaging etc.
What to do when Internal Server Error?
There are a lot of ways by which server can crash. Some are listed below
- If the changes made in a pre-existing module is not correctly formatted.
- More than two fields with a single name are created and forcefully saved in the same model.
- Model and views are not bound properly etc.
So how to overcome issues.
- We can go to the files in which we made changes and undo them.
- We can go to our database through pgAdmin and delete the field which is crashing the server.
- Most effective way to find an error is that we can check odoo.log file. Location Odoo-> server-> odoo.log.
- We can hit the URL and revert back to our previously saved database and resume our work from there.
How to take backup and restore the database?
It took me a lot of time and investment in finding how to take backup and restore it to another server or system. On this, I spend a couple of days but haven’t found anything tangible. Content is very limited on this topic. But on later I discovered this and so I thought I should share my knowledge which I gained and through some light on this topic.
There are two ways in which we can take backup.
- By hitting the given URL – server/web/database/manager.
- By Import/Export and validation, functionality is given by Odoo.
Backup-> We can take a full backup of the system and store zip file in our system for a future update. For that, We have to hit this URL- http://localhost:8069/web/database/manager
Restore- In a similar manner we can restore the database by uploading the zipped file which we recently downloaded.
Using export and import we can transfer the particular models, views, fields etc. We cannot deploy our whole database. So, if anyone wants the desired field to be transfer so he/she can use import/export.
Export-> Go to desired view of any model, view, menu items etc. Select the field which you want to export and click on action button for exporting that file.
Once you click export action button then one form will pop out. From that, you can select the format (excel or CSV) which you want to download. You can also select fields which you want to export.
Import-> There are two buttons consecutively Create and Import. From There you can select import button and upload the exported file which you just downloaded.
Validate-> Now we have to validate the file which is tough task. In that we have to remove the external ID and model which were created through ID.
When everything seems perfect than it displays “Everything seems valid”
WRAP UP & SUMMARY
In this we learned, what actually is Odoo and what are its features, when server crashes then what are the ways to rectify it. We also learned how to take backup and restore by URL and through import/export action buttons.
I hope this article was very helpful for you, for getting in touch with new technologies our articles will help you. So, stay connected with us at